Lower Yukon Valley
Alerts in Effect
Flood AdvisoryIssued at 11:44 Saturday 27 May 2023
* WHAT...Flooding caused by backwater from recent ice jams and
* WHERE...Lower Yukon River and associated tributaries from Grayling
downstream to the Yukon Delta as far as Nunam Iqua and Kotlik.
* WHEN...Until 415 PM AKDT Thursday.
* IMPACTS...Backwater from recent ice jams between Russian Mission
and Mountain Village as well as snow melt moving down from the
Upper Yukon has led to extensive overbank flooding of lowlands on
the Lower Yukon River from Grayling down to Mountain Village, as
well as down the Innoko River at Shageluk.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- At 1136 AM AKDT, Recent observations from River Watch flights
as well as satellite imagery confirm large areas of overbank
flooding in this region, with water backing up all small
tributaries including the Andreafsky River.
As the breakup front pushes downstream towards the Middle and
South Mouth of the Yukon River, high water is expected to
impact the communities of Kotlik and Nunam Iqua in the coming
Issued by National Weather Service