
What you need to know about B.C. wildfires on Aug. 18
THE LATEST:
About 150 structures have been damaged or destroyed by the Bald Range fire, according to preliminary estimates from the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen.
Across B.C., there were about 10,500 people under evacuation order as of Monday, according to the Ministry of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness.
The ministry says about 17,000 people are under evacuation alert, meaning they must be ready to leave at a moment’s notice.
About 130 wildfires were burning throughout the province as of Monday, with 44 of them still out of control. Most were caused by lightning.
Keep up with the latest wildfire information at The Weather Network's wildfire hub
Regional district aiming to contact owners of fire-affected structures
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen said it was seeking to contact the owners of structures that have been either damaged or destroyed by the Bald Range fire.
"We have counselling available for those individuals," said Graham Statt, chief administrative officer of the District of Summerland. "We go on site with them if they wish to do so."
SEE ALSO: Wildfire evacuations spur urgent need for pet fosters
On Monday evening, the regional district released a preliminary estimate that about 150 structures have been damaged or destroyed by the Bald Range fire.
Statt said about 40 of the structures were in the municipality's boundaries.
"It’s a rough number, it’s a live number," said Statt.
He added the estimate may increase as more information becomes available.
At the moment, it’s unclear what kind of structures were damaged and officials were unable to say how many, if any, were homes.
Firefighters turn efforts to western flank of Bald Range wildfire Some Summerland residents are returning home as firefighters hold the out-of-control Bald Range wildfire behind control lines on its southern and eastern flanks.
The fire — which previously forced the evacuation of thousands — spanned over 210 square kilometres as of Monday evening.
The BCWS said crews will be prioritizing efforts on the fire’s western flank, which is continuing to show aggressive behaviour, though it remains about 18 kilometres away from the Osprey Lake area.
On Sunday, Summerland Mayor Doug Holmes said about 22 per cent of the 5,500 properties that were on evacuation order due to the wildfire in the south Okanagan are now on evacuation alert.
Highway 97 is open, though no exits are permitted into areas that remain under evacuation orders.

Wildland firefighters from Mexico's National Forestry Commission arrive at Abbotsford International Airport, to aid local wildfire services on Thursday, Aug. 6, 2026. Some of them were deployed to help fight the Bald Range fire. (Ben Nelms/CBC)
Summerland residents 'very thankful' to return: councillor
Summerland Coun. Erin Trainer told CBC's On The Coast she was able to return home on Friday.
"I opened the door and it smelled like we’d had a campfire in our house," said Trainer. "It was quite overwhelming. We had a layer of ash over everything."
About 800 properties were downgraded from an evacuation order to an alert on Sunday, primarily residents living on the east side of Highway 97, she said.
"Everybody was just relieved to get home," she said. "They were just happy. Very thankful."
But she noted there’s still a ways to go, as many people still can’t return.
"We’re not OK until everyone’s OK," she said.

A man changes the sign board outside of a resort in Penticton, B.C., on Sunday Aug. 9, 2026. The community served as a refuge for many people from Summerland who were forced to leave their homes. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

Four major wildfires of note continue to burn out of control.
The Bald Range, Pear Lake, Ainslie Creek and Brunswick Creek fires remain responsible for close to 30 of the 40 evacuation orders throughout the province.
About 70 evacuation alerts have been issued in B.C., meaning residents in those areas must be ready to leave at a moment’s notice.
Hotter temperatures and drier conditions are expected this coming week for B.C., with the exception of the far northwest region of the province.
Winds will continue to remain light in the southern half of the province.
As of Monday evening, the Ministry of Environment’s Air Quality Health Index shows smoke is creating moderate health risks in Whistler, the eastern Fraser Valley, Kamloops, the South Okanagan, and Castlegar.
This article, written by Steven Chua, was originally published for CBC News. With files from On The Coast and Julia Wong.
Thumbnail image credit to the BC Wildfire Service via CBC News.