Popular Weather Network App Helps Apple Reach 50 Billion Downloads
Monday, September 23, 2013, 1:06 AM - The Weather Network named 2nd for iPad and 17th for iPhone in list of Top 25 All Time Free Apps in Canada
The Weather Network and MétéoMédia, divisions of Pelmorex Media Inc., was today named one of the few Canadian - owned and operated companies to appear on Apple’s 25 All - Time Free Apps in Canada list. The news follows the announcement that Apple has reached 50 billion downloads on the App Store.
Playi ng an important role in the Apple milestone, the Weather Network is ranked 2 nd for iPad and 17 th for iPhone in the All - Time Free Apps in Canada list. The popular app, which provides extensive weather content and forecasting ability in the palm of your hand, has received more than 7 million downloads to date.
“As a Canadian leader in mobile app development, The Weather Network and MétéoMédia continue to de l iver the most innovative and up - to - date weather - related content across a range of mobile platforms, ” said Gita Ashar, Director of Mobile Applications and Emerging Technologies at The Weather Network. “We are extremely proud to be one of a handful of Canadian - owned companies to appear on the Top 25 Al l - Time Free Apps in Canada list .”
As one of Canada’s most popular apps for iPhone and iPad, The Weather Network and MétéoMédia app includes the following key features:
- Detailed weather forecasts includi ng current, short - term, long - term (day and night), 14 day trend (day and night) and hourly forecasts for user’s favourite locations
- Follow Me uses The Weather Network’s new GPS location function to pin point a user ’ s current location to forecast the local weather, provide relevant severe weather alerts, UV, Pollen and Air Quality updates.
- PointCast uses The Weather Network’s exclusive technology to provide personal forecasts using a Canadian postal code, U.S. ZIP code or GPS on mobile device. Forecast s are narrowed down to within one kilometer of where you are.
- Picture and video upload capabilities lets users submit weather - related content to The Weather Network direct from their iPhone or iPad devices.
- Weather tracking for multiple locations lets use rs keep an eye on weather forecasts for several locations at once.
- Active weather alerts and public safety warnings delivered direct to users’ iPhone or iPad device.
The Weather Network app for iPhone and iPad have consistently ranked as Canada’s mo st popular apps and receives almost a million users per day and drives more traffic than The Weather Network’s <a href="http://www.theweathernetwork.com/">website</a> . During active weather periods the iPhone app receives 12 million page views per day , or over 2 00 million page views per month .
About Pelmorex Media Inc.
Founded in 1989, Pelmorex Media Inc., parent company of The Weather Network , MétéoMédia , Travelers Network , Beat the Traffic and ElTiempo.es . Pelmorex Media is a leader in delivering consumers invaluable information with ease, quality and a compelling expe rience on all media platforms. Also meeting the weather information needs of commercial and government clients whose success relies on accurate and reliable weather related information. Pelmorex is licensed to operate Canada’s National Alerting Aggregat ion and Dissemination System (NAADS) which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies. Pelmorex Media Inc. has been named one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies for seven consecutive years and is one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers .