32954 viewsEarl HartlenOctober 20, 2022Simcoe, ONDate shot: October 17, 2022
At the 1925 Lions International Convention, Helen Keller challenged the Lions to be knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness. In 1964 Simcoe Lions decided to highlight its commitment to its major work, eyesight with a 20-foot miniature lighthouse in downtown Lake George, Simcoe Norfolk County Ontario. This beacon of light was the focus of the club’s work for their crusade against this devastating disease for many years. As time passed the icon began to deteriorate and so in June 2017, 53 years later it was removed and purified by fire at the annual club barbecue. Out of the flames that night came the resolve to replace this beacon of light. Thinking that this would be a fitting project for the Lions 100th anniversary, planning and work began on a new structure. After much hard work, many volunteer hours from club members and others in the community, a new lighthouse came into being. It is larger than its predecessor with state-of-the-art construction and LED lighting.