WATCH: Man rescues dog from hot car in Grand Bend
Sunday, June 12, 2016, 5:43 PM - A small dog was rescued from a sweltering car in Grand Bend, Ontario Saturday, where temperatures reached 28oC. A video of the incident surfaced on Facebook and has since gone viral, with over 75,000 views.
Footage (above) shows a bystander in a parking lot using a rock to smash a BMW's window. Kitchener man Will Costa who captured the video, says the animal was in distress when it was saved around 6:30 p.m. local time.
SUMMER 2016: Visit the Summer Forecast Guide to the Season for the 2016 Summer Forecast, Fall Weather Preview and much more
"The dog was completely soaked. The owners didn't show up for another 50 minutes," Costa told CTV. "I believe in another 50 minutes it could have been fatal."
It took about 20 minutes and several attempts to break the window, according to Costa. Police were then contacted, while other bystanders gave some water to the ailing dog.
A concert was being held in the area and Costa said the announcer at the event told the crowd about the incident and asked for the owners to quickly retrieve their pet.
"When I heard the announcer, I couldn't believe it," Costa told CTV. "It was so hot."
After about 50 minutes, a couple in their 20s who were presumed to be the owners, arrived to the parking lot looking rather confused, according to Costa.
"They started to become more embarrassed," he said.
They were asked by authorities to go to the local police station. It is not confirmed whether charges have been laid.
In Canada, people who leave animals unattended in a car in a manner that risks their health and safety could be charged under a provincial SPCA act and under the Criminal Code of Canada. Penalties include possible jail time, a lifetime ban against owning animals and up to $60,000 in fines.
Recently, Florida Gov. Rick Scott passed a bill making it legal to break into a locked vehicle to save people or dogs that appear to be in distress.
So far this year, 11 children have died after being left in hot cars in the U.S. Nearly three times as many children have died in 2016 in the U.S. compared to this time last year, the National Safety Council (NSC) announced.
Watch more: Preventing heat stoke, why you should NEVER leave your pet in a hot car