Typhoon Haiyan Death toll rising as storm approaches Vietnam
Sunday, November 10, 2013, 11:49 AM -
Several communities were devastated by the typhoon's passage through the central part of the archipelago nation - lashed by winds gusting up to 275 km/h and swamped by a six-metre storm surge.
On-the-ground reports from the region tell of bodies in trees and on sidewalks, as well as looters raiding gas stations and stores for food and fuel.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said he was considering declaring a state of emergency in Tacloban, the hardest-hit city, due to attacks by looters on food trucks and relief supplies.
Canada, which has more than 660,000 residents of Filipino descent, has been following the devastation.
Canadian-based NGO Global Medic, was mobilizing water-purification systems late Saturday night:
Pastor Rodrigo Felomino of the Filipino Alliance Church of Toronto told the Canadian Press that some of his parishioners are still anxiously awaiting word of relatives who live in the areas worst-hit by Haiyan.
Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister, John Baird, said Canada will provide $5 million in aid to humanitarian groups helping typhoon victims.
About four million people have been affected by the storm so far, including almost 800,000 people evacuated before its arrival in the Philippines on Friday.
Hundreds of thousands of others have been moved to safety in Vietnam, where Haiyan is headed next. The storm is expected to make landfall there on Sunday night or Monday morning.
With files from the Canadian Press and Associated Press.