Expired News - Another child found outside with no clothes on as three-year-old Elijah Marsh mourned - The Weather Network
Your weather when it really mattersTM


Please choose your default site


Asia - Pacific


Toronto Police have found another child outside in the cold with no clothes on as the city mourns the death of three-year-old Elijah Marsh.

Another child found outside with no clothes on as three-year-old Elijah Marsh mourned

Digital writers

Friday, February 20, 2015, 3:12 PM -

Toronto Police have found another child outside in the cold with no clothes on as the city mourns the death of three-year-old Elijah Marsh.

The child was found Friday afternoon in Etobicoke. He was uninjured, but police have taken the child to the hospital.

The news come a day after Toronto began mourning the death of three-year-old toddler Elijah Marsh, who died in hospital after wandering out of the apartment where he was staying with family early Thursday morning wearing only a diaper, t-shirt and winter boots. 

The temperature at the time of his disappearance dipped into the minus-20s.

Mayor John Tory offered his condolences to the family in a press conference. "It's a terrible tragedy," he said. Later Toronto's mayor sent a tweet from his account. "Toronto's thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time."

Chief of Police Bill Blair also joined in on the sentiment.

"I think every Torontonian will feel the loss," Blair said. "I think it will remind all of us to go home and just hug our kids a little bit more. And I think we all will grieve for that child and for their family and for their community for it's loss."

Meanwhile Toronto MP Joe Oliver took to social media to express his thoughts.

The boy was found in the backyard of Rachel Eizentil. Her sister had woken her up to inform her about the search for the missing boy but she didn't think to look in her own yard, she told CBC News. Neither her nor her husband had heard or seen anything the night prior.

Elijah Marsh was described as a "good-natured little boy" and a "little bit shy" by Milly Dyer, a resident of the Elijah's building in a conversation with CBC. Meanwhile employees from the daycare Elijah attended described him as a lovely boy from a lovely family, according to the Globe and Mail.

Another Torontonian Justin Kozuch has begun raising funds to cover the cost of Elijah's funeral. The goal was initially $5000 but so far the campaign has far exceeded that number. More than 2000 people have contributed more than $100,000 since the campaign started.

Timeline of details around Elijah Marsh:

Wednesday, February 18, 2015:

  • 9:30 p.m. ET - Parents put three-year-old Elijah Marsh to bed

Thursday, February 19, 2015:

  • 4:20 a.m. ET: Security camera captures image of Elijah in apartment lobby, wearing a T-shirt, pull-up diaper and winter boots
  • 7:30 a.m. ET: Family wakes up to find Elijah not in his bed. Police called and massive search effort begins.
  • 10:00 a.m. ET: Volunteer locates Elijah at 89 Baycrest Ave., north of the city, and about 300 metres from his home. No vital signs recorded
  • 2:05 p.m. ET: Toronto police announce that Elijah died in hospital

Police say the three-year-old boy wandered away from an apartment into bitterly cold temperatures overnight and was last seen on the apartment buildings security camera.

Officers on horseback, on foot and in a helicopter searched for the boy in addition to asking neighbours to search their yards, hallways and stairwells for the missing youngster. It was the swift reaction that led to the discovery, who emergency officials immediately rushed to hospital with vital sign absent (VSA).

According to police details, the boy's family put him to bed 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, and then woke up to find that he was missing from their Neptune Drive home at around 7:30 a.m.

"The police response was aggressive and massive," Inspector Frank Barredo said Thursday at a press conference. "We had volunteers arriving from far and near to assist. Nevertheless, the young boy was located not very far from his home and ambulance was immediately dispatched."

The incident comes as the Greater Toronto Area is under an extreme cold warning, with Environment Canada warning people of double-digit wind chills.


Elijah is assumed to only have survived a couple of hours in the cold, according to Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht who told the Toronto Star that a child of that weight would have shown signs of hypothermia within an hour of being outside and lost vitals signs in the hour to two hours that followed.

The University of Manitoba professor is more commonly know as Professor Popsicle due to his unparalleled expertise in hypothermia.

"You would not expect a little kid like that to survive for six hours in that kind of temperature," he told the Star. " Six hours is a very long time."

According to Giesbrecht an adult in a similar situation would have survived due to their larger body mass.

Hypothermia can set in within minutes when exposed to extreme cold.

This medical emergency can occur when the body loses heat faster than it can produce it. If left untreated, hypothermia can lead to heart failure and death.

Sources: CBC News | Toronto Star | Globe and Mail

Default saved

Search Location


Sign In

Please sign in to use this feature.