Tornadoes leave path of destruction in Windsor area
Friday, August 26, 2016, 7:19 AM - It may be some time until the full extent of the damage is known, but clean-up continues after two tornadoes hit southwestern Ontario Wednesday night.
What started as a thunderstorm risk led to a slew of tornado warnings around the Windsor, Essex, Chatham, and Kent areas shortly after the dinner hour.
KEEP ON TOP OF ACTIVE WEATHER: Visit the Alerts section of the website
- 7:10 p.m. images surface of tornado touching down near Windsor, Ont, including LIVE coverage of the storm unfolding from The Weather Network's Storm Hunter, Mark Robinson
- 7:28 p.m. Environment Canada issues tornado warning for Windsor, Essex and Chatham-Kent, warning ends at 7:52 p.m.
- Three people suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to hospital
- Many downed trees and powerlines in central and east Windsor
- Numerous power outages reported
- Power restored at Transit Windsor
- Over a dozen homes damaged, Red Cross assisting with displaced residents
- EC Row Expressway re-opened in both directions Thursday
- Environment Canada confirmed two tornadoes touched down in Essex County. EF-1 in LaSalle and EF-2 in Windsor area.
Dozens of homes were damaged as the line of severe storms swept through uprooting trees and leading to widespread power outages.
"It's devastating destruction," says The Weather Network's Jeff Harrington, who was reporting live Thursday in LaSalle, Ontario just outside of Windsor. "Roofs torn off homes, trees snapped like twigs just littering the ground. Incredible, incredible damage."
STORM TOOL KIT: Be prepared for severe weather with The Weather Network's online essentials: ALERTS | LIVE RADAR | UPLOAD PHOTOS/VIDEOS | LATEST NEWS | FOLLOW ON TWITTER | HIGHWAY FORECAST | AIRPORT FORECAST
Emergency officials are describing the clean-up as a "painstaking process" as crews travel street by street to gain a complete understanding of the impact and damage. These terrifying photos and videos speak for themselves.
Tornado in windsor😱😱 pic.twitter.com/IggObEdwfW— Andrew Chisesi (@AndrewChisesi) August 24, 2016
Tornado in Lasalle. pic.twitter.com/c6THJEuCT6— Alley Kay☯ (@AKDorzz) August 25, 2016
Tune in to The Weather Network on TV for ongoing weather updates.