Seventeen confirmed dead in Quebec seniors' home fire
Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 5:12 PM -
On Tuesday, officials announced the death toll from the seniors' residence fire in L'Isle-Verte, Quebec last week has risen to 17, with 15 people still unaccounted for.
A spokeswoman for Quebec Provincial Police says the search is progressing well, following a weekend of frigid temperatures that initially hampered recovery efforts. There are about 50 people onsite surveying the rubble.
SEE ALSO: Officials use steam to melt icy rubble
Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to attend a commemorative ceremony in L'Isle-Verte later this week.
On Sunday, snow, blowing snow and powerful winds on made it extremely difficult for recovery crews to do their work and withstand the cold.
A de-icing machine that's usually used for ships was brought in to help melt the thick ice covering the area.
Provincial police Lieutenant Guy Lapointe told the Canadian Press that the machine enabled searchers to be more delicate in their approach.
With files from The Canadian Press