Expired News - Refracted sun rays on jar of Nutella blamed for house fire - The Weather Network
Your weather when it really mattersTM


Please choose your default site


Asia - Pacific



Refracted sun rays on jar of Nutella blamed for house fire

File photo courtesy: Flickr/Ginny

File photo courtesy: Flickr/Ginny

Find Your Forecast
    Cheryl Santa Maria
    Digital Reporter

    Monday, March 2, 2015, 1:46 PM - Solar rays refracting off a jar of Nutella is the likely cause behind a recent house fire in London, UK, firefighters say.

    It's believed the empty glass jar had been placed on a window. When the sun made contact with it, refracted rays set the blinds on fire.

    "It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that's exactly what happened," fire investigator Charlie Pugsley told the Associated Press.

     SEE ALSO: Lack of snow on roof leads to drug bust in the Netherlands

    The fire occurred in mid-February, and a dog was killed in the blaze.

    Refraction occurs when fast-moving waves enter a medium that slows movement, causing the wave to bend.

    Sources: Flickr | The Associated Press


    Default saved

    Search Location


    Sign In

    Please sign in to use this feature.