Heart breaking scenes from earthquake devastation in Italy
Friday, August 26, 2016, 7:02 PM - A strong and devastating earthquake hit central Italy early Wednesday, leaving rescue crews desperate to find survivors amid all the rubble.
- Magnitude 6.2 earthquake
- Earthquake struck 11 km from Amatrice at 3:36 a.m., local time
- Canadian among at least 280 dead, death toll expected to rise
- More than 2,000 locals forced to seek refuge in camps
- At least 40 aftershocks reported after initial quake, shaking felt in Rome
- Emergency workers focus on reaching remote towns
- State funeral has been planned for those who perished
KEEP ON TOP OF ACTIVE WEATHER: Visit the Alerts section of the website
As day broke Wednesday, the true devastation unfolded with emergency crews responding to wails muffled by debris. Wide cracks surrounded the region like "open wounds" with some towns completely left in ruins. Rescue crews worked through the night on Wednesday trying to locate any survivors. More aftershocks occurred just before dawn registering at magnitude 5.1 and 5.4.