Mom suffers 'excruciating' burn from venomous caterpillar
Thursday, August 9, 2018, 3:57 PM - A Florida mom is issuing a warning after she was stung by a poisonous caterpillar at a park.
Tara Forbes was sitting under an oak tree watching her son on the playground.
"My arm was out on the bench like this I thought maybe I was just getting a little bit of sunburn," she told CNN.
But the longer Forbes sat there, the more intense the pain got. It quickly turned into joint and bone pain.
"And I looked down and I had black and white fuzz here and white fuzz on the inside and it just immediately felt like fire, like somebody took a flame to my skin," she said.
Her arm swelled up from her fingers to her chest, and became dizzy and nauseous.
"I think if this happened to my son or somebody else's child they should go directly to the ER because it was very painful," she said, adding the pain would likely be worse for a child because they're so much smaller.
THE DANGERS OF FUZZY CATERPILLARS
Not all fuzzy caterpillars pose a danger to mammals -- but if you ever come across one it's better to err on the side of caution and leave it alone.
While many will cause slight irritation, others -- like the puss caterpillar -- can cause convulsions and intense pain worse that that of a scorpion or jellyfish sting.