Big melt shifts concerns for flood-ravaged B.C. Interior
Sunday, May 13, 2018, 11:05 AM - More than 2,000 residents in southern B.C. remain out of their homes due to floodwaters as water levels continue to rise.
Rain and warmer temperatures are making matters worse with rapid snow melt at lower elevations.
Emergency Info B.C. says multiple areas in the Interior are under evacuation orders or alerts (you can find a full list with links to individual areas here). CBC reported Saturday morning that the number of evacuees had risen to 2,700
In Grand Forks, some 30 water rescues had been carried out by Saturday morning, according to CBC, and multiple flood watches and warnings are still in effect for several parts of the Interior (see the full list here)
However, the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary, where Grand Forks is based, sounded more positive about the coming days in the area, discussing re-entry plans in a weekend update.
"Officials are prioritizing re-entry for homeowners who’s properties have been unaffected by flood waters. Damage and safety assessments are underway," the update said. "Unaffected areas will have evacuation orders rescinded as soon as it is safe to do so, details will be available later today."
Multiple road closures are in place in the affected areas (updated lists here). Further inland, Drive B.C. issued a travel advisory for Highway 1 from Golden to Revelstoke due to mudslide concerns.
"Due to increased mudflow activity travellers are advised to expect delays during daytime hours and possible closures during nighttime hours. Additional traffic interruptions may be required to manage mudflow activity," Drive B.C. says.