Falling ice starts fire that leaves 12 homeless
Wednesday, March 18, 2015, 2:41 PM -
Close to thirty people in Connecticut were evacuated Sunday morning when falling ice sheared a gas pipe, starting a fire that left three families homeless.
Officials were notified at around 12:50 a.m. Sunday.
Fire crews arrived at the three-storey building, which was enveloped in flames.
Residents of all 27 units were evacuated while natural gas from the severed pipe continued to feed the fire.
The fire was cleared by 4:30 a.m. Three unites were deemed uninhabitable by the town building department.
The American Red Cross Emergency Response Team has worked with the 12 displaced people to find temporary shelter.
Source: Journal Enquirer
RELATED VIDEO: FIREPLACE SAFETY: