Can my smartphone get a cold?
Thursday, December 19, 2013, 1:08 PM -
With all this cold weather, you're probably bundling up, but have you thought about keeping your valuable smartphone warm too?
You may not need to put a hat or gloves on it, but there are some things you need to do to protect it, since it's not really built for extreme cold.
And we all know you'll be taking shots for Twitter, Facebook or Instagram of that beautiful wintry weather!
Smartphone batteries drain faster and can shut down unexpectedly in cold weather. The glass can also break.
Here's what you need to know:
- If your phone shuts down from the cold, don't restart it until you give it time to warm up.
- To prevent that from happening, keep it in a pocket or close to your body heat.
- Don't leave them in cold areas like parked cars, but if you have to, turn it off.
- And there are even cases built to help your phone regulate temps in extreme temperatures.
- Most importantly, make sure you have a back up power source because if you're out there in the winter weather, you may have an emergency and then you will really need your phone to have power.