More dynamic and engaging app for iPad users
Saturday, March 29, 2014, 2:09 PM
On Thursday The Weather Network unveiled a newly redesigned and enhanced version of its popular weather application for iPad, designed specifically for iOS7. The refreshed app is both interactive and intuitive and offers users a simple layout with a clean look making it even easier to get extensive weather information at a glance.
The Weather Network app is consistently ranked as one of the top free iPad weather apps in Canada with more than 2.3 million* downloads to date. In addition, the iPad app is among the Top 25 All-Time Free apps in the App Store. Across both mobile and tablet, The Weather Network has more than five million iOS users.
The Weather Network’s success with apps is due in large part to our continued focus on delivering detailed weather information on the platforms and formats that our consumers expect. In redesigning our iPad app, we made sure to include valuable new tools and features such as traffic and lightning detection.
Greeted by a dynamic dashboard, users can select and save up to 20 favourite locations or enable the 'Follow Me' function to have local conditions and forecasts at their fingertips no matter where they travel. Users can quickly scan current and forecasted weather conditions from the home screen, as well as access additional details with the simple touch of the screen.
Key features included in the redesigned The Weather Network app for iPad include:
- Dynamic Dashboard – Exclusive to the iPad, the dashboard provides detailed localized content for selected locations
- Alerts Button –Alerts issued for saved Canadian and U.K. locations can be easily accessed at the touch of a button, also includes select U.S. alerts
- Richer Video Content – Live streaming, more Active Weather coverage, newly added feature video content such as “Science behind the weather”, “Force of Nature”, “Angry Planet”
- New Map Layers – New native iOS maps support satellite and radar, provide traffic flow (provided by Beat the Traffic) and lightning reports. Users can now view multiple layers on the map for Canadian, US and U.K. locations
- Additional 14-Day Forecast Detail – Now showing day parts (morning, afternoon, evening and overnight) for the next 7 days within the 14 day forecast
- New Add Location Map – Users can now add locations using manual type search or pan and zoom on map using location pins. Includes the ability to add up to 20 locations
- Side Bar Navigation – Users can now quickly access a list of available content for each location
- Celsius/Fahrenheit and Metric/Imperial Settings – Users can now personalize temperature and accumulation measurements individually per saved location or apply to all
- Active Weather – The most up-to-date information on current active weather is shared via maps, detailed descriptions, related news and videos, now also available for U.K. locations
- iOS7 Optimized Design – New look and re-designed weather pages compatible with iOS7
The Weather Network App for iPad can be downloaded by clicking here.
The Weather Network also offers weather apps for other mobile and tablet devices such as Android, BlackBerry and Windows 8, PC and Mac computers, as well as iTV and Smart TVs manufactured by Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony and others.