Owner burns down $1.8 million home attempting to get rid of snakes

The fire was ruled accidental.

A family in a recently-purchased $1.8 million home in an area west of Baltimore, Maryland, recently tried to smoke out a snake infestation - resulting in a large fire that caused $1 million in damages to the structure.

According to the Montgomery Country Fire Department, the November 23 fire erupted when the coals used were placed too close to combustible materials, sparking a fire that started in the basement and quickly spread through the house.

There are no reports of any (human) injuries.

GIF - snake

Thumbnail/GIF by Cheryl Santa Maria - Snake: tuphlos/Getty Images Pro. Fire (in thumbnail): Francesco Ungaro/Pexels. In GIF: lukiov/Getty Images.

On December 6, Pete Piringer, chief spokesperson for the Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service, tweeted images of the disaster, which was ruled accidental.

While some snakes did not survive the fire, Piringer said some likely did.

Content continues below

The takeaway? Experts say that if you have any problem with wildlife on your property, it's best to call a professional for help.