Wednesday, April 17th 2019, 4:50 pm - The incident occurred April 15.
A utility worker escaped electrocution Tuesday after a wire damaged by a thunderstorm burst into flames at a New Jersey intersection, according to local police.
A storm the prior evening caused a transformer to explode, sending wires tumbling. The following morning a utility worker who had been told a wire had been de-activated, is seen on camera pulling it to the ground. When it made contact with the wet concrete, flames erupted.
- Couple survives after 26 power lines collapse around them
- Many don't recognize the dangers of a downed power line
“As the night turned into morning, a utility worker narrowly escaped death when handling a wire that was believed to be de-energized,” Manchester police wrote in a Facebook post.
“The wire then caught fire as it struck the wet ground. Luckily, he was wearing proper safety equipment! At the end of the night, no one was injured and everyone made it home.”