Your weather when it really mattersTM


Please choose your default site


Asia - Pacific


Videogamer gets struck by lightning while playing a game live on Twitch

Tuesday, July 7th 2020, 12:12 pm - While rare, it is possible to be struck by lightning inside your home.

Twitch streamer Jaime "Karma" Bickford was commentating a Rocket League matchup game live last month when she was struck by lightning, Sporting News reports

Viewers could hear thunder during the broadcast, followed by Bickford screaming (see video above).

She later said lightning had struck her neighbourhood and went through her controller and burned her hands.

"There are major thunderstorms going on right now in my area," she said.

"And the house next door to me got struck by lightning, it's not on fire, I don't know what happened. But lightning must have hit there and gone through, there's like a metal thing that goes down the house, it must have gone down the house and somehow hit me. Not hit me, but it went into my controller. And my controller went, like, spark, really big spark and just burned my hand."

Bickford later visited a doctor and said she is doing well, despite her hands being sore.


The odds of being struck by lightning are rare. In the U.S., your chances are about 1 in 700,000, according to [National Geographic]. Most lightning strikes occur outside, but about a third happens to people who are indoors, according to the CDC.

Here are some tips to avoid being struck by lightning inside your home, according to the CDC:

  • Avoid water. While rare, lightning can travel through plumbing and result in a shock. That's what happened to a man in Sydney, Australia in 2010. He was taken to the hospital after suffering a lightning strike while doing dishes in his home.
  • Avoid electronic equipment. Plugged in computers, laptops, game systems, washers, dryers, stoves, or anything connected to an electrical outlet can transport lightning. "Lightning can travel through electrical systems, radio and television reception systems, and any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring," the CDC says on its website. "Equip homes with whole-house surge protectors to protect appliances."
  • Avoid corded phones. While you should avoid corded phones, the CDC says wireless and cell phones are safe.
  • Avoid concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring, the CDC says.

Thumbnail image courtesy: Getty Images.

Default saved

Search Location


Sign In

Please sign in to use this feature.