Monday, August 29th 2022, 9:00 am - Much of Canada is deeply humid, and that's not always easy to bear.
The Weather Network / MétéoMédia is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
With some exceptions, Canada is a humid nation, and it’s especially pronounced in summertime – for large stretches of the summer, there’s just no escaping it. However, with the right gadgets and products, you can blunt its effects. Here’s what we recommend.
When grappling with humidity, the first place to start is trying to reduce the overall humidity levels in your home. For that, of course, you’ll need a dehumidifier. Aside from its elegant design, this option from COSVII can sap up to 1,000 millilitres of water from the air, and is priced well enough that you can afford more than one for your home.
- Auto shutoff function prevents overflow when the tank is full
- Quiet (less than 35 decibels) and energy efficient (consumes 1.15kW over 24 hours)
- Rated 4.1 out of 5 on Amazon.ca, based on more than 2,500 reviews
As personally uncomfortable as high humidity is, it’s not great for your closet either. Your clothes prefer things as dry as possible, and you can make that happen with hanging moisture absorbers such as these. They can suck as much as 500 millilitres of moisture out of the air before needing to be replaced, and a transparent reservoir gives you a sense of when you need to replace them.
- Comes in a pack of five
- Uses spherical calcium chloride particles to absorb moisture
- Rated 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon.ca, based on more than 2,400 reviews
Everyone is different, but as a rule, hair does not like humidity (or, more like, it enjoys it a bit too much). You needn’t be a slave to the frizz, though, and there are plenty of products out there to keep it at bay. We picked this one for its simplicity and glowing reviews among those who bought it off of Amazon.ca
- Paraben and Sulfate-free, container is made of recycled plastic
- Effective up to four washes, according to the manufacturer
- Rated 4 out of 5 on Amazon.ca, based on more than 300 reviews
And those of us who are bearded (that’s an old profile picture) know that we aren’t exempt from humidity, particularly longer beards. Beard oil, lovingly and diligently applied, can definitely help, and there are no shortage of brands out there. This is our pick, and it’s one of the most popular we’ve seen on Amazon.ca so far.
- Made wth argan oil and jojoba oil
- Rated 4.3 out of 5 on Amazon.ca, based on almost 11,000 reviews
Finally, humid days can worsen skin issues for those with skin that is on the oilier side. We recommend these oil-absorbing tissues from PleasingCare. They effectively soak up excess oil, and they’re especially ideal for people who use makeup, as well as athletes.
- 100 tissues per pack
- Can be used to clean glasses as well
- Top choice in its category on Amazon.ca, with a rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on more than 8,000 reviews
Our trusted Product Specialists recommend high-quality items that we think will enhance your experience with Canadian weather conditions. Prices and availability of items are accurate at the time of publication and are subject to change.
Thumbnail credit: Milada Vigerova/Unsplash