Wednesday, August 31st 2022, 9:00 am - On a hot summer day, the thrill is in the chill. This list of kitchen gadgets will help you prepare the coolest treats to enjoy in your own backyard.
The Weather Network / MétéoMédia is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
A warm, sunny forecast calls for icy options. Beat the heat with refreshments like snow cones, ice cream, popsicles, and cold brew coffee that you can make at home using these essential summer kitchen items. Consider it something new to do mid-season!
This throwback snow cone maker is the perfect accompaniment to family barbecues, neighbourhood parties, or simply hot days by your pool. Make sure you have a few bags of ice on hand to turn into fluffy snow-like shavings. All you have to do is place the ice into the chamber, secure the lid and set it to start. Unless you already have the flavours you love at home, add the Premium Snow Cone Syrup Party Kit to your order.
- Holds up to 20 (eight-ounce) snow cones at a time
- Includes two (eight-ounce) reusable cones
- Rated 4.4 out of 5 based on more than 7,700 Amazon.ca reviews
I scream, you scream, we all scream for homemade ice cream! This frozen treat maker from reputable brand Cuisinart can make a variety of things including ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet, sherbet, and frozen drinks. The wide mouth feeding spout allows you to pour all of the ingredients from your recipe while adding some extra favourites like chocolate chips or nuts without interrupting the freezing process. Be sure to keep the double-insulated bowl in the freezer at least 16 hours prior to use.
- Makes up to six one-cup servings
- Mixes in 20 minutes or less
- Rated 4.5 out of 5 based on more than 5,600 Amazon.ca reviews
These popsicles have personality! Make healthy ice pops in the whimsical shape of four different monsters. The flexible silicone moulds are easy to use by filling with your favourite juice, fruit purée, or yogurt, adding the handles, and then freezing. If these ones are too scary, you can always stick to a traditional popsicle mould like this six-piece, BPA-free, reusable silicone one.
- Available in dinosaur and penguin pop moulds as well
- Base tray is designed to fit in most freezer doors, stack for compact storage, and has handles for easy portability
- Rated 4.6 out of 5 based on nearly 3,900 Amazon.ca reviews
Keep cool and caffeinate! This cold brew coffee maker is perfect when the temperature is already hot in the morning or for a mid-afternoon break. All you need to do is add the ground coffee of your choice, add cold water, and refrigerate for 24 hours. In fact, the airtight seal will lock in fresh coffee flavours for up to two weeks in the fridge. With a substantial number of positive ratings on Amazon.ca, this is a must-try for iced coffee lovers.
- Makes four servings of coffee
- BPA-free and shatterproof with a leak-proof lid
- Rated 4.6 out of 5 based on more than 36,500 Amazon.ca reviews
Listed as an Amazon.ca Best Seller, this is the perfect alternative to the previously mentioned snow cone maker for treat enthusiasts looking for a little less pizzazz. This portable ice shaver can go anywhere you’re going be it the backyard, park, or beach because it’s lightweight and operated by a manual hand crank. You can easily create shaved ice, snow cones, and fun drinks without any electricity.
- Holds up to one litre of crushed ice
- Includes one ice crusher and one ice cube tray
- Rated 4.3 out of 5 based on nearly 7,000 Amazon.ca reviews
Hydration never goes out of style! This retro drink cooler will be a crowd pleaser at your next outdoor event. This jug is fillable with water, lemonade, or even a mixed cocktail to quench your guests’ thirst. The contents stay nice and chilled with THERMECOOL™ foam, an eco-friendly insulation. Plus, did you know the lid doubles as a seat? It doesn’t get much cooler than this one…
- Holds two gallons of your favourite beverage
- Easy-to-use, drip-resistent spigot
- Rated 5 out of 5 based on Amazon.ca reviews
Our trusted Product Specialists recommend high-quality items that we think will enhance your experience with Canadian weather conditions. Prices and availability of items are accurate at the time of publication and are subject to change.
Thumbnail image courtesy Lindsay Moe/Unsplash