Saturday, June 8th 2019, 1:51 pm - This highly venomous and aggressive snake is nicknamed "Finger rotters" by some.
The owner of a Peterborough reptile zoo was able to help rescue a woman from Kitchener that had been bitten by a Malayan Pit Viper, which is a potentially lethal snake.
The woman had been travelling in Thailand when she was bitten by the snake and then received antivenom while she was there.
A young Malayan Pit Viper from Karawang, West Java in ready-to-strike posture. Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Soon after travelling back to Canada she began experiencing symptoms from the snake bite and sought treatment at Grand River Hospital.
The woman needed additional doses of antivenom, and Bry Loyst, the owner of Indian River Reptile Zoo in Peterborough, was contacted and asked if he had any in stock.
The next closest antivenom dose is in Texas, and Loyst was able to provide six vials to the OPP who delivered it to the hospital, as reported by CTV News.
This species of snake is highly venomous and aggressive and is nicknamed "Finger rotters" by Al Coritz, Viperkeeper on YouTube. Symptoms of a bite from this snake include intense pain, blood clotting, extensive internal bleeding, loss of fingers, shock, and collapse.