Your weather when it really mattersTM


Please choose your default site


Asia - Pacific


Fire erupts as homeowner attempts to thaw frozen pipes

Monday, January 24th 2022, 12:23 pm - Nobody was injured in the incident.

A New Hampshire home built in the 1800s has been rendered uninhabitable after a resident tried to thaw out frozen pipes, leading to a house fire, local media reports.

While the fire was contained to one portion of the building, there was extensive smoke and water damage.

Nobody was injured, but firefighters were forced to douse the flames in freezing temperatures - causing them to slip in the icy conditions.

While frozen pipes aren't uncommon in the winter, officials recommend residents contact professionals for help and advise against attempting to alleviate the problem on their own.

This isn't the first time a resident has set their home on fire while carrying out a task that's best left to specialists.

In December, a man in Baltimore, Maryland set his $1.8 million home ablaze while trying to smoke out a snake infestation.

That fire was ruled accidental.


According to the City of Toronto's website, there are a few steps homeowners can take to minimize the damages caused by freezing pipes in the winter, including:

  • Knowing where your main water shut-off valve is and how to operate it, in the event your pipes burst.
  • Insulating the pipes that are most likely to freeze - including those near outside walls, in crawl spaces, in the attic, and in the garage.
  • Sealing air leaks to prevent cold air from seeping in.
  • Unscrewing hoses, letting outdoor taps drain, and turning off the water supply for the season.

Thumbnail image: file photo. Courtesy: Kolyaeg/Pixabay

Default saved

Search Location


Sign In

Please sign in to use this feature.