Monday, January 13th 2020, 3:28 pm - Steele doesn't consider himself to be an outdoorsman, but says his ordeal taught him important survival skills.
Alaskan resident Tyson Steele had to be rescued by a state trooper helicopter team after his cabin burned to the ground on a frigid December night in a remote area of the state's interior.
He tells CNN he whole one night to find the roof of his cabin in flames. He managed to grab a handful of supplies, but most of his possessions -- and his dog Phil -- didn't make it.
"At that point, I just sat down on the ground for awhile," he recalls.
"It was cold, I didn't have any socks in my boots and I was just wearing pajamas at that point, and a T-shirt."
For more than 20 days, Steele survived in a makeshift shelter, built using debris from his cabin. He ate what little food he had managed to save -- including pineapples, which he is allergic to.
He rationed around a month's worth of food, set up an SOS sign in the snow, and waited.
Despite his harrowing experience, Steele says he isn't done living in remote Alaska. He says he plans to return and rebuild -- maybe with a back-up cabin next time, just in case.