Your weather when it really mattersTM


Please choose your default site


Asia - Pacific


Girl develops flesh-eating infection from Florida beach

Wednesday, June 26th 2019, 5:44 pm - A 12-year-old girl is in recovery after developing a flesh-eating infection in her leg, most likely from swimming in the warm waters of a Florida beach.

Kylei Parker and her family went on a beach vacation to Destin, Florida. By the time they returned home, she had a fever and her leg was swollen, People reports.

Kylei's mom, Michelle Brown, called the doctor to schedule an appointment but was urged to go to the hospital right away.

Doctors diagnosed her with necrotizing fasciitis. It likely entered her body through a scrape on her toe.

She was rushed into emergency surgery.

“If it wasn’t for their quick responses and aggressive treatments, we wouldn’t have her … It’s hard for me to think about if I had waited one more day, or even a couple more hours. We’re just very fortunate,” Michelle told People.

Kylei is now back at home, after spending a week in the hospital.


Warmer seawater temperatures in the summer tend to cause an uptick in cases.

It can infect anyone who goes into the water with a wound. Officials say beach-goers should be cautious of rocks.

"You should still enjoy the beach, but that's one of the reasons the lifeguards are blowing their whistles around the rocks," Nancy Lemis, an epidemiologist for the Virginia Department of Health, told USA Today in 2018.


People with open wounds or compromised immune systems shouldn't swim in salt or brackish water. On land, infections can occur from eating raw or undercooked seafood -- especially shellfish. If you discover a wound after visiting the beach, wash the area thoroughly with soap and water. If you start to develop flu-like symptoms shortly after visiting the beach, seek immediate medical care.


Sources: People | CNN | USA Today

Default saved

Search Location


Sign In

Please sign in to use this feature.