PRIVACY AND COOKIES POLICY
Pelmorex Media Inc. and its subsidiaries (“our”, “us”, “we”, “the company”) operate the website www.theweathernetwork.com and related services and applications (collectively the “Services”). For the purpose of the Privacy Act 1988 and the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 the APP entity is Pelmorex Media Inc.
If you have any questions about this Policy and/or the processing of your personal data, you can reach our privacy officer by completing the online form for which a link is provided at the end of this document.
Alternatively, you can contact us at: Attn. Privacy Officer Pelmorex Media Inc. 2655 Bristol Circle Oakville, Ontario Canada L6H 7W1 905-829-1159
PERSONAL DATA WE MAY COLLECT
We may collect and process the following personal data about you:
- Information that you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on the website, as part of the Services or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use the website and/or Services, subscribe to our service (including subscriptions for weather forecasts and alerts), participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on the website and/or Services, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem with the website and/or Services. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, gender, age, personal description and photograph;
- When you sign up to obtain a 'Weather Button' we request your name, email address, company name (if available) and website URL. The purpose of this is to enable us to contact you to communicate changes in the program as well as for record keeping purposes in respect of where the Weather Button is posted. This information will be retained until you inform us that you have removed the Weather Button from your website;
- When you create an account to upload images or videos to the "Photos & Videos" section of the website and/or Services, we request your name, e-mail address, password and postcode. The purpose of this is to enable you to identify yourself having taken the imagery and video you choose to upload, and to facilitate display of your name and home location on any items posted to the website or for use by us on other media properties. By registering for and providing material for upload, you agree to the publication of your name and home location together with your uploaded image or video;
- When you submit a comment or inquiry using the online feedback form, we request your name and e-mail address, along with the comment or inquiry in the body of the message for the purpose of responding to your message. This information may be shared with persons outside the company as required to respond effectively to a query or address a reported issue. We retain all e-mail correspondence for 24 months. Where e-mail correspondence is retained for longer than 24 months, we will remove personal data from the email correspondence; records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we may ask you to complete for research and marketing purposes, although you do not have to respond to them;
- Details of transactions you carry out through the website and/or Services;
- With regard to each of your visits to the website and/or use of the Services we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer and/or mobile device to the Internet, your Unique Device ID or mobile device identifier, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and the carrier name (if available); and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream through and from the website (including date and time), services you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, information about the API or SDK being used for the app, data related to you such as latitude and longitude location information and self-reported data provided when you downloaded the app if you provided the information
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on the website and/or in relation to the Services. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, advertising networks and analytics providers) and may receive information about you from them.
- distinguish you from other users of the website and Servic;
- to remember searched and saved locations for quick future reference by visito;
- to personalise your experience of the website and/or Services, including saving formatting of the website and Services and other user pferences, and
- to save login information for subscription and Photos & Videos registrants (if you select the "Remember me" option when logging in).
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer, or where applicable your mobile device, if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive and/or stored on your mobile device.
We use the following cookies:
Processes cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of the website and the Services. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of the website and the Services. The website and Services would not function properly for you if the information in these cookies were lost. Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the website when they are using them and/or use the Services. This helps us to improve the way the website and Services work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. These cookies are not stored on mobile devices. Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to the website and/or use the Services. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region). Loss of the information in these cookies may make our Services less functional but would not prevent the Services from working. Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to the website and/or your use of the Services, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make the website and the Services and the advertising displayed on them more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose. These cookies are not stored on mobile devices. Demographic information. We may retain limited demographic information such as date of birth and gender, if such information is provided by the user, which is tied to anonymous identifiers and may be referenced by the system for some tailored advertising.
In addition to cookies, we use Local Storage. Local Storage is similar to cookies and is a facility that enables us to retain information within a user’s web browser. The data persists once a browser is closed, but is not transmitted to the website.
The below links will help you to set cookie settings in your browser:
Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
Applications (‘apps’) and location information
When you download our location-enabled apps (e.g. Follow Me, which provides localized weather information based on the location of your device), you will normally be prompted to either permit or deny the app to use location information from your device. This choice can be changed later on in your device settings. If you deny permission for the app to use location services, the portions of the app that rely on location information will not function. If you permit the app to use location services, we may periodically collect information about the location of your device, which may include times when you are not directly interacting with the application. We may use this information to customize content and the Services, including public safety alerts and personalized notifications, to allow us to adapt the Services to your needs, to research the effectiveness of our network and to develop new features and Services. In addition, we may share non-identified location information with third parties for advertising use.
Mobile device identifiers
A mobile device identifier is an anonymous identifier of your cell phone. The identifier information is sent back to us along with other data such as the precise location of your phone if you have enabled location information in the app as you use our app or browse the web. The data does not identify you personally. We may share non-identified identifiers with third parties for advertising use, analytics, to ensure you receive a better consumer experience, in order to better understand our users in general and to guide our product improvements.
You can limit the range of data that your phone sends to us by disabling the identifier on your mobile device. This will not affect how your device operates. Details about mobile device identifiers and how to disable/reset the identifier for your specific device can be found at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202074 and http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/20/how-to-reset-your-advertising-id-on-android/.
API or SDKs
APIs (application programming interfaces) and SDKs (software development kits) which may be embedded in our app by one of our partners provide geo-fencing capabilities, mobile analytics and the ability to deliver push messaging. When you access the app an API/SDK may collect non-personally identifiable data related to the device such as the device ID, model and operating system, information about the API or SDK being used and data related to you such as latitude and longitude location information and self-reported data provided when you downloaded the app if you provided that information. This information does not identify you personally. The information may be collected for advertising use, to ensure you receive a better consumer experience, analytics, guide our product improvements and market research.
USES MADE OF PERSONAL DATA
We may use personal data held about you in the following ways:
- to provide you with the information and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to those that you have already obtained from us or enquired about;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from the website and Services is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and/or mobile device;
- to administer the website and Services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve the website and Services to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and/or your mobile device;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep the website and Services safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may interest you;
- as otherwise required by law.
We may combine your personal data with information that we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with personal data you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Personal data shall only be retained by us for as long as is necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes set out in this Policy.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA:
We may disclose your personal data to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries and our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries.
We may disclose your personal data to third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors in relation to the operation of the website and the Services; advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 100 men aged under 35 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in a particular geographical location). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of the website and Services;
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if the company or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets; and
Please note that where third parties with whom we may share your personal data are located outside Australia, your personal information will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction, including without limitation the laws related to the disclosure of personal data to the authorities in that jurisdiction.
LINKS AND OTHER WEBSITES
The website and Services may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
If you choose to log on to the website using a social media account, we request access to the information indicated in the social media account’s acceptance screen and described below.
You may click "Allow" to log on to the website using a social media account, or click "Don't Allow" to close and return to the login options. If you choose not to log on to the website using a social media account, you can log on using your “Weather Network” account, or create one if you do not have one already.
If you choose to log on to the website using a social media account, we will request access to and for you to confirm the personal information that will be passed on to us by your social media site.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside of Australia. It may also be processed by staff operating outside of Australia who work for us or for one of our suppliers. By submitting your personal data or by allowing us to collect your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy.
All personal data you provide to us or that we collect is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access the website and/or the Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
SAFEGUARDING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We use a variety of technological, physical and organisational protections and procedures to help protect your personal data from unauthorised access, use, or disclosure, such as encryption, passwords and physical security measures. Whilst we strive to protect your personal data, we cannot ensure or warrant that the personal data or private communications you transmit to us will always remain private. The transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the website and/or through the Services; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. You acknowledge and agree that we and our affiliates and related companies shall not be responsible for any damages you may suffer as a result of the transmission of confidential or sensitive information over the Internet, and that all such communications will be at your own risk.
Your rights - You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at //www.theweathernetwork.com/au/about-us/contact-us. Please note that the withholding or withdrawing of your consent, in relation to our handling of your personal data, may result in us being unable to provide you with certain products and services.
Access to information - You have the right to access personal data held about you. Any access request may be subject to an administration fee (not exceeding the maximum permitted by applicable law) to meet our costs in providing you with details of the personal data we hold about you.
Changes to our Privacy and Cookies Policy - Any changes we may make to our Privacy and Cookies Policy in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. This Privacy and Cookies Policy was last reviewed on September 22, 2016.
Contact - If you have any questions, comments or complaints regarding this Privacy and Cookies Policy or our practices, please contact our privacy officer by completing the online form at the following link: //www.theweathernetwork.com/au/about-us/contact-us.