Alerts in Effect
Special Weather StatementIssued at 15:06 Tuesday 17 January 2017
Rain and freezing rain, occasionally mixed with sleet, is
currently occurring across the southern Adirondacks, the Lake
George Saratoga region, the Capital Region, eastern Catskills and
Helderbergs. Temperatures are expected to fall another couple of
degrees through the evening commute, allowing areas of freezing
rain to become more widespread.
Untreated ground surfaces which are currently wet are expected to
become ice covered during the evening commute. Motorists and
pedestrians are strongly advised to use extra caution if driving
or walking through this evening.
Bridges and elevated road surfaces, highway on and off ramps,
less traveled secondary roads, and also parking lots, sidewalks
and driveways will be particularly susceptible to ice formation
through early this evening.
Freezing Rain AdvisoryIssued at 16:09 Tuesday 17 January 2017
* LOCATIONS...MID HUDSON VALLEY...EASTERN CATSKILLS AND
HELDERBERGS...MOHAWK VALLEY...CAPITAL REGION...AND TACONICS.
* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SOME SNOW
OR SLEET AT TIMES.
* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...ICE ACCRETION OF A TRACE TO UP TO ONE TENTH
OF AN INCH IN THE VALLEYS...AND ONE TENTH TO ONE QUARTER OF AN
INCH ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS OF UP TO
ONE THIRD OF AN INCH POSSIBLE ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS.
* TIMING...A MIX OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND RAIN MAY
OCCASIONALLY MIX WITH SNOW AT TIMES CLOSE TO AND NORTH OF
INTERSTATE 90 THIS EVENING BEFORE TAPERING OFF AS FREEZING
DRIZZLE OR DRIZZLE TOWARD DAYBREAK.
* IMPACTS...ICE AND SLUSH COVERED ROADWAYS WILL MAKE FOR HAZARDOUS
TRAVEL. UNTREATED WALKWAYS...DRIVEWAYS AND SIDEWALKS WILL BE
VERY SLIPPERY. ISOLATED TO SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE
IN AREAS THAT RECEIVE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT FREEZING RAIN.
ADDITIONAL ICING MAY STILL OCCUR EVEN AFTER TEMPERATURES RISE
* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE LOWER 30S THIS EVENING...THEN
HOLDING STEADY OR RISING SLIGHTLY INTO THE LOWER TO MID 30S