Alerts in Effect
Flood WarningIssued at 20:25 Friday 28 April 2017
Bolivar and Washington Counties
Mississippi River Near Greenville affecting Chicot...East
Carroll...Issaquena and Washington Counties
Mississippi River At Vicksburg affecting Madison...Tensas...
Claiborne...Jefferson and Warren Counties/Parishes
Mississippi River At Natchez affecting Concordia...Adams and
Rainfall from 5 to 8 inches is expected to fall from Northwest
Arkansas through the southeastern half of Missouri and into
Illinois over the next 3 days. This rainfall will produce
a crest of 49 feet at Cairo, IL which is at the mouth
of the Ohio River. Cairo is not expected to crest until
May 6th. Significant rises will occur along the Lower
Mississippi River from Arkansas City to Natchez well ahead of
the Cairo crest due to increased flows that will come
from the Arkansas River. Much of the heavy rainfall in
Northwest Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma will flow into the
Arkansas River. Planted crop land within the levee system will
The Flood Warning continues for
The Mississippi River Near Arkansas City
* from Wednesday May 10 to Wednesday May 17.
* At 7:00 PM Friday the stage was 26.3 feet.
* Minor flooding is forecast.
* Flood stage is 37.0 feet.
* Forecast...The river will rise above flood stage Wednesday May 10
and will continue to rise to near 37.5 feet Saturday May 13.
* Flood history...This crest compares to a previous crest of 38.2 feet
on Jul 21 2015.
* Impact...At 37.0 feet...The low silt plain in front of arkansas city
inside the levee system begins to flood along with widespread
bottomland flooding at huntington point mississippi.
* Impact...At 35.0 feet...The Road to donaldson point is cut off.
Flash Flood WatchIssued at 11:50 Saturday 29 April 2017
The National Weather Service in Jackson has issued a
* Flash Flood Watch for portions of southeast Arkansas,
northeast Louisiana and Mississippi, including the following
areas in southeast Arkansas, Ashley and Chicot. In northeast
Louisiana, Catahoula, Concordia, East Carroll, Franklin LA,
Madison LA, Morehouse, Richland, Tensas and West Carroll. In
Mississippi, Adams, Attala, Bolivar, Carroll, Choctaw,
Claiborne, Copiah, Franklin MS, Grenada, Hinds, Holmes,
Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Lawrence, Leflore, Lincoln,
Madison MS, Montgomery, Rankin, Sharkey, Simpson, Sunflower,
Warren, Washington, Webster and Yazoo.
* From late tonight through Sunday evening
* Rainfall amounts ranging from 2 to 4 inches with localized
amounts up to 6 inches over a short amount of time could lead
to flash flooding.
* The flooding of roads, low lying areas, and areas with poor
drainage will be possible. If encountering flooded roadways,
remember to turn around, don't drown.