Our collection, use and disclosure of personal information
In most cases, we collect personal information directly from you when you purchase, register for or interact with us about the Services. In some cases, it may be optional for you to create an account, or consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, in order to access our Services across various platforms. In some cases, we may collect personal information from a third party with your consent or as otherwise permitted by law. We will typically identify to you the purposes for which we may collect, use and disclose your personal information at the time that we collect such information. In general terms, such purposes include:
- To deliver Services to you which you have requested or signed up for;
- To establish and manage your subscriptions and accounts with us;
- To respond to your requests, questions and inquiries;
- To advise you of information, products and services which may be of interest to you;
- To deliver relevant advertising as described herein;
- To meet our legal obligations and as permitted by law.
Below we describe in more detail how we collect, use and disclose information for certain Services.
Automatically Collected Information
Some information concerning your use of the Services will be collected automatically as you use them, for example:
- Internet Protocol ("IP") address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Computer, device and connection information, such as browser type and version, operating system, mobile platform and unique device identifier (“UDID”) and other technical identifiers;
- Location information for location-aware Services to provide you with more relevant content for where you are in the world.
We collect and use this information to generate aggregate/non-identifiable information in order to further develop, provide and manage the Services.
When you sign up for a Subscription (e.g. weather forecasts, pollen forecasts, alerts and other information delivered by e-mail), you are required to provide your name, e-mail address and password. This information is used to deliver weather forecasts to your e-mail address, contact you and administer your Subscription, and enable you to log in to manage your subscription.
We may also ask for additional, optional, information, which is not required to participate in the Subscription service. Such information may include your gender and year of birth. We collect and use this information in order to gain a better understanding of our subscribers to improve our Services, and to generate aggregate/non-identifiable demographic information which is shared with third party advertisers to deliver advertisements that are more relevant to you and your interests. To opt out of such use, please do not provide the optional information, or you may contact our Privacy Officer at any time as indicated below.
When you sign up to obtain a Weather Widget, we will request your name, e-mail address, company name (if available) and website URL. We use this information to contact you to communicate changes in the Weather Widget Service, as well as to keep a record of what websites the Weather Widget is posted on.
Posting photos and videos
When you sign up to upload images or videos to our Services, we will request your name, e-mail address, password and postal code. By signing up, providing this information and uploading photos or videos, you agree that PMI may publish your photos and videos on the Websites, on television, and otherwise in the Services, including with your name and location (e.g. city, town, or region, based on postal code). We may also use your email address to contact you to notify you if your picture or video is chosen to be displayed on any of the Services.
Applications (‘apps’) and location information
When you download our location-enabled apps (e.g. Follow Me, which provides localized weather information based on the location of your device), you will normally be prompted to either permit or deny the app to use location information from your device. This choice can be changed later on in your device settings. If you deny permission for the app to use location services, the portions of the app that rely on location information will not function. If you permit the app to use location services, we may periodically collect information about the location of your device, which may include times when you are not directly interacting with the application. We may use this information to customize content and the Services, including public safety alerts and personalized notifications, to allow us to adapt the Services to your needs, to research the effectiveness of our network and to develop new features and Services. In addition, we may share non-identified location information with third parties for advertising use.
When you submit a comment or inquiry using our online feedback form, we request your name and e-mail address, along with the comment or inquiry for the purpose of acting on the information and responding to you. This information may be shared with persons outside of PMI as required to respond.
Using social media services
When creating an account with PMI, you have the option of either creating an account with PMI directly or signing up using Facebook, Twitter or Google+. If you create an account with PMI directly, you are required to provide: your first and last name, an email address and a password. This information is used to deliver the Services you have requested, to contact you and administer your account, and enable you log in to manage your account and preferences. We also provide you with an opportunity to include optional information regarding your year of birth and gender. We collect and use this information in order to gain a better understanding of our subscribers in order to improve our Services, and to generate aggregate/non-identifiable demographic information which is shared with third party advertisers to deliver advertisements that are more relevant to you and your interests. We provide you with the option to opt in to receive offers or messages from our partners. To opt out of such use, please do not provide the optional information, or you may contact our Privacy Officer at any time as indicated below. If you create a PMI account using, or otherwise connect your PMI account to, Facebook, Twitter or Google, we may also collect, use and disclose information as follows:
When you choose to log in using a Facebook account, we request access to the following:
- Access your basic information: includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and information you’ve shared with everyone. This is required by Facebook in order to use the Facebook login functionality. We will display your name, and potentially your profile picture, to identify you as the person who posted a comment;
- Send me e-mail: PMI may e-mail you directly at your e-mail address. We require an e-mail address to match your Facebook account with our user database. We may contact you directly regarding your use of the commenting feature, or to notify you if your comment might be used on television;
- Post to Facebook as you: We may post status messages, notes, photos, and videos on your behalf. We require this access to allow you to send comments made on our Websites to your own Facebook pages, allowing you to share links with your friends. Postings sent to your Facebook pages are user-generated. You may remove this permission on Facebook at any time, under Privacy Settings;
- Access my profile information: Activities, Interests, Birthday, Hometown, Current City: This data will be used to target content and advertising, allowing us to display information on our Websites that is relevant to your location, interests and age.
Logging in using Google+ will allow PMI to know who you are on Google, view your email address and view your basic Google profile information (e.g. name, email address, birth date, year of birth, gender). This information is accessed by PMI for the purposes of customizing content and the Services for our users.
Retaining and safeguarding personal information
We will take steps to retain personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted or required by law. We have implemented physical, organizational, contractual and technological measures designed to help protect your personal information from loss or theft, and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. However, complete confidentiality and security is not possible or guaranteed. For example, internet use and communication is subject to potential interception, loss and alteration. You acknowledge and agree that PMI, its affiliates and related companies shall not be responsible for any damages you may suffer as a result of the transmission of confidential or sensitive information in relation to the Services.
Links to other Websites and services
The Services may contain links to other websites and services, or be available only in connection with certain third parties and their websites, apps or services (e.g. social media providers). PMI is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such third parties, or the information disclosed to them, and encourages you to review the privacy policies of such websites, apps and services.
Questions, complaints and requesting access to personal information
If you have any questions or complaints about privacy, or to request access to personal information, please submit a written request to us at: Privacy Officer, Pelmorex Media Inc., 2655 Bristol Circle, Oakville, ON, Canada L6H 7W1 or online through our feedback form: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/about-us/contact-us