Toronto issues first heat alert of the year
Thursday, May 30, 2013, 9:44 AM -
The City of Toronto issued a heat alert early Thursday.
Temperatures are expected to climb into the high 20s. Factor in the humidity, and it will be feeling closer to 36 Thursday afternoon.
This is the first heat alert in Toronto for 2013 and will remain in effect until further notice.
Officials say that during a heat alert, the public is encouraged to call or visit family, friends and neighbours, especially isolated adults and seniors who are at greater risk of suffering from heat-related illness, to make sure they are cool and safe.
The city offers these tips to beat the heat:
- Drink lots of cool water even before you feel thirsty.
- Go to air-conditioned places, including shopping malls or one of many local libraries or community centres located in each neighbourhood.
- Take cool showers or baths or use cool wet towels to cool down- Wear loose, light coloured breathable clothing and when outdoors wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Avoid the sun and stay in the shade or use an umbrella.
- Reschedule or plan outdoor activities during the cooler parts of the day.
- Never leave seniors, children or pets unattended in a car.
If you're looking for a place to cool down, here's a list of air conditioned places you can visit across the city.
It's also important to keep an eye on the UV Report and Air Quality Index. According to Health Canada, young children are more sensitive to air pollution and often, high air pollution occurs during hot weather conditions.
Going to be out and about in the city today? There’s a heat alert in the city of Toronto so be sure to carry some water with you & keep cool— CAA South Central ON (@CAASCO) May 30, 2013
Experts saw Nepal quake coming
Experts knew the 80-year cycle of earthquakes in Nepal was due.
Clouds left by jets spark protests
They crisscross skies on a daily basis, sometimes lasting only seconds.
How to celebrate 25 yrs of a Space Telescope
The Hubble Space Telescope took up residence in Earth orbit on April 24, 1990, a...