Keep your companions cool
Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 1:28 -
Everyone has been trying to stay cool due to the hot weather that has hit different parts of the country. Although there has been much emphasis on how to keep people properly hydrated and cool this summer, pets need our help too. While people cope with the weather and find different ways to cool off, they often forget about their pets and how the extreme heat of the summer affects them.
That being said, here are some strategies for keep your furry friends cool this summer.
- Drinking water: Make sure you bring water with you when you leave the house with your dog. Also, try adding a few ice cube to their water both at home and on-the-go.
- Shade: Although you may have an umbrella or a hat on, your dog has to find shade of its own. If you plan on stopping somewhere while on a walk with your dog, try and find a spot under a tree where there is shelter from the sun.
- Time: If you usually take your dog for long walks during the day, try moving your walks to early in the morning or later on in the evening when it is much cooler.
- Dogs cool from underneath: Make sure you keep your dog’s paws and stomach cool by either using a cool, moist towel or a spray bottle. Keeping your dog cool from the bottom up is more effective than leaving a cool towel on top of its coat.
- Fan: Leave a small fan on for your cat to curl up next to throughout the day.
- Drinking water: Leave a few ice cubes in your cat’s drinking water to keep the bowl as cool as possible.
- Let your cat explore: Most cats like to wander and find cool places throughout the house, such as tiled floors or areas that don’t heat up from a lot of sun.
- Wet towel: Use a soft, wet towel to wipe down your cat. You can also leave a towel on the ground in your house for them to lie down on.
Those were just a few ways to keep your pets cool this summer. If you have any other ways to keep your furry friends cool or even other animals, let us know in the comment box below!