Investigation underway after ship carrying 23 people aboard runs aground off Newfoundland
Another view of Cormorant from 103 Sqn rescuing all 23 crew mbrs from the M/V John 1 pic.twitter.com/ZIjiWb9hIR— JTF Atlantic (@JTFAtlantic) March 16, 2014
Sunday, March 16, 2014, 3:57 PM -
An investigation is underway after a cargo ship carrying 23 people on board lost power and ran aground off the southwest coast of Newfoundland Saturday afternoon.
WINTER CONTINUES IN THE EAST: Another messy weekend in Atlantic Canada
Search and rescue helicopter from Stephenville and the Canadian Coast Guard ship Earl Grey were called to the scene, said Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre spokesman Maj. Martel Thompson in an interview with The Canadian Press.
The ship was en route to Montreal from Spain when its engine failed and it lost power Friday morning, said The Canadian Coast Guard.
Canadian Coast Guard Spokeswoman Jan Woodford said Overnight, winds shifted and the cargo ship began drifting dangerously close the coastline.
"The CCGS Earl Grey attempted several times to connect a tow line to the vessel to prevent it from running aground,'' Woodford said in an email statement to The Canadian Press. "These attempts were unsuccessful.''
All 23 people aboard were hoisted into a helicopter and brought to Burgeo, Newfoundland. No injuries were reported.
The federal environmental response crew headed to the area to investigate.
Marine Atlantic commercial ferry crossings in the area were cancelled earlier on Saturday due to high winds.
With files from The Canadian Press